Sunday, May 9, 2010

Clear Talent Group Audition!


So I'm always online looking for cool classes or auditions that I can go to and then I found this one. This audition was for the Clear Talent Group agency at Pearl Studios on May 8th. They had two auditions you could attend a Jazz portion and/or a Hip-Hop portion. I was trying to think for awhile whether I should go to both or not. I felt that if I had gone to the Jazz one which was at 10am in the morning that I may feel intimidated by the other dancers and may be too afraid to the Hip-Hop portion (which was at 1pm). So I decided that I would just go to the Hip-Hop one. I was supposed to take the 11:01 train from Katonah and I was going to arrive at 12:09. I needed to arrive early because it said on the website that you needed to arrive EARLY and to be there a half hour early to check in. So I was running a little bit late because I forgot I needed a headshot or snapshot so then I arrived at the train station right when the train arrived there. I easily could have made the train if I had been on the other side of the tracks. So then the next train time was for 11:32 which would mean I would arrive at Grand Central for 12:44. I was panicking because that would mean A) I would need to rush to Pearl Studios (which was 20 minutes away by walking) B) I would be late to check in the website said to be EARLY C) I brought enough money for a taxi but if i were to take a taxi I would not have enough money for a class at the Broadway Dance Center in case I did not make the audition. My backup plan was that if I did not make the audition I would just take a class but I would not have enough money if I took a taxi. By taxi though I would get to the Pearl Studios in about 5 minutes. So i quickly decided once I got to the city that I would just go for it anyway and I took a taxi and got there at 1 because my train arrived late and there was a little bit of traffic. I was rushing in and I saw some other dancers that were headed there too so i felt a little bit more confident. First off, let me just say the whole signing in process, where you go, when you go, and everything else was so confusing. I figured out it was on the 12th floor and by asking several people I finally found out where to check in. While checking in you had to write your age on the sheet and I noticed that like everyone was 25 or 27. Meanwhile I just turned 18. I was #245 and I found out that there had been about 300 people there. I overheard that they cut it off at 300 or 350. So then I stood by myself in the hallway and one thing that I noticed was how dressed up everyone was. It looked like a fashion show but of slutty girls. I was listening to these girls talk about how it was like their 3rd audition and she was nervous. So then finally when they moved I sat on the bench they had been on. While sitting there the guys that I had seen when coming in came over to sit next to me. They had started talking to me and they told me about themselves. They were these tree guys two were 19 and one was 23 and they were from Queens. These guys were extremely friendly and I learned SOO MUCH from them. They knew so many people in the hallway it was crazy. They told me that a lot of people they knew are from the Broadway Dance Center and they told me how they take classes with Luam, Chio, Joanna Numata, and Sheryl Murakami. They introduced me to all these people who were incredible dancers. They found out information about the audition and told me everything. At first we heard a rumor that they were type casting and that before we danced we may have just been lined up and they would pick whoever based on their look. That's when i understood why almost every girl there was in their bras and booty shorts. So then we found out while sitting there for 2 and a half hours, that it was Sheryl Murakami who was teaching the combo. She teaches at BDC advanced classes and has worked with Beyonce, Avril Lavigne, Lady Gaga, Nelly, Pharell, Nelly Furtado, Diddy, etc. So she is pretty well known! Finding that out made me pretty nervous. Then we found out the we were leaving two eight counts in five minutes! Picking up choreography fast is a problem for me so then i became extremely nervous. Then we found out that after she taught you it for five minutes you split into groups of five. So after finding out all of this I was very very nervous. Then we noticed some people who had found out what the combo already was and they were practicing it. I was able to learn a couple things from watching them but I really did not know it as well as everyone else did. So i realized everyone else already knows it their going to do it extremely well. I figured that I would go in and learn it and if I thought it was extremely hard and I may embarrass myself that I would just leave before doing it in groups of five. So then finally numbers 200-250 were called (by the way my new friends were apart of that group) and we went in to learn the combo. Just like I had thought everyone already knew it and was doing it really well. I thought it actually wasn't difficult and I got it down. we practiced it in four groups of about 12 people each. I found that compared to the other people in my group I was actually doing it really well. Then it was time to split into groups of five. I felt really really nervous because your were A) in a group of five B) 45 other people were watching you on the side and C) there was 10 judges sitting in front watching you. So i wanted to leave but then one of the guys closed the door so I couldn't! I decided that I would just give it my best shot and if i were to embarrass myself hopefully I wouldn't see these people again. Also, one of the judges was a guy i recognized from the Monsters of Hip-Hop Convention. So I was in the last group of five girls to do it because I was extremely nervous. I choked. I completely blew it. I got so overly nervous I just completely zoned out and blanked. One girl from our group made it to the next cut but i did not. I didn't expect to make it but I was extremely upset with myself after letting my nerves get the best of me. So then that was it. This was definitely the greatest dance experience i have had in my life so far. The people that i met (and now keep in touch with) and all the stories and everything I learned was incredible! Also, the people that my new friends introduced me to, they made the cut. They were amazing! It was such a great experience and I'm extremely glad i ended up going to the audition because I learned SO MUCH! This is just the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment